Enhanced Health & Safety
Our Health, Fitness and Aquatics Centre have reopened! Taking care of your health is important now more than ever before. At the Y, we’re here to help you stay active, healthy, and improve your well-being.
Our Health & Fitness centres will look a little different at first:
As you would expect, we’ve modified spaces, access points, and traffic flow through our facilities. We’ve kept the layout of our facilities simple to make sure we can safely have people in the buildings.
Child minding, changerooms, and gyms remain closed at this time and will make decisions in consultation with local health units about when we can layer in additional programming.
Fitness studios will have a designated entrance and exit where possible, and staggered spaces for participants will be marked providing approximately 6'x10' per person. There will be 30-minute intervals between classes to allow for cleaning, disinfecting, and set up for the next activity. Members will need to register to secure a spot, following the newly reduced capacities for spaces. Class offerings are available online in our activity finder.
Aquatics programs will be reactivated in stages beginning with adult lane swim, followed by aquafit and family swim activities. Members will be limited to one person, or two, from the same household per lane, and additional activities will maintain physical distancing. Members must register for swim times, which can be found online in our activity finder. Please note that for now, change rooms will be accessible for aquatic activities only.
As of October 24 in all of our Health and Fitness facilities across the region:
- Fitness and aquafit class sizes will be reduced to a maximum of 10 people (including the instructor) and members will maintain a 3m distance from others. Please book your classes in advance to maintain these capacities.
- Instructors will wear masks while providing instruction during fitness classes.
Other changes you will see when you return:
Extensive signage to let members know about changes, including, swiping cards for access is an acknowledgement that they are safe to be in our buildings.
Changes in how people move in the building, including restricted areas, one-way flow of foot traffic and markings to keep people spaced apart appropriately.
Tempered glass at the membership desk to add an extra barrier between members and staff when they have to have closer conversations.
Hand sanitization stations where you enter the building and in strategic places throughout the building.
Wellness floor equipment moved or removed in order to let people work out at a safe distance and to remove items that cannot easily be disinfected after each use.
Additional cleaning scheduled for high touch surfaces, and a dedication by all staff to be involved in cleaning regardless of their role.
All staff wearing masks.
We all have a shared responsibility to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Here are some things we are asking of members to support health and safety:
- Maintain 2m distance from others.
- Wear your mask to enter/exit the building and while travelling through the facility (washroom use, changing equipment, etc.)
- Follow directional arrows and entry and exit signs.
- Have your membership card ready. By scanning your card upon entry, you are acknowledging our pre-screening declaration that is posted next to the card scanner.
- Arrive dressed for your workout. Change rooms and locker storage will not be accessible (with the exception of aquatic activities).
- Bring your own filled water bottle. Access to refill stations may be limited.
- Clean equipment with the cleaning system provided, both before & after use.