Ensuring a safe workout experience for you.
With the health and safety of our members, staff, and volunteers as our top priority, we've established the highest possible standards for our Health & Fitness branches. Find out more about our COVID-19 guidelines below.
Vaccination Requirements & Policies:
Beginning September 22, as per Ontario regulations, patrons of gyms, fitness and recreation facilities will have to demonstrate proof of full vaccination in order to enter (i.e. 2 doses of vaccine + 2 weeks) using a paper or electronic PDF copy of their vaccination receipt, along with valid ID.* Beginning October 22 patrons will have the choice of using a free app to produce a QR code along with valid ID.
*Valid ID will be based on two key identifiers: name of the identification holder and date of birth. A photo identification is not required. Examples of identification documents include a Birth certificate, Citizenship card, Driver’s license, Government (Ontario or other) issued identification card, including health card, Indian Status Card/Indigenous Membership Card, Passport, or Permanent Resident card.
The YMCA is not permitted to retain the vaccination information of patrons for privacy reasons. This means that each patron’s vaccination status must be checked each time they enter.
These requirements apply to all patrons ages 12+. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in fines under the Reopening Ontario Act. For more information, please refer to the province’s regulations.
In addition to this requirement, we will continue daily health screening prior to entry, as well as use of masks, physical distancing, and enhanced cleaning and disinfection procedures. Furthermore, to ensure the highest levels of safety for all, our association is implementing a COVID-19 vaccination policy for all staff and volunteers in all of our locations. This new policy aligns with the Ontario Government's policy as well as mandates from the Ministry of Education for licensed child care, and recommendations from the Y Canada National Vaccine Task Force.
- Each member, staff, or volunteer will be screened upon arrival via QR code or in-person questionnaire.
- The number of people permitted on site will be limited to 50% of the maximum capacity. Pre-booking for the fitness floor is not required. Pre-booking for group fitness is encouraged to ensure your spot.
- Social distancing (2m) is required at all times. Fitness equipment will be spaced apart, group fitness classes will have designated workout spaces, and access to change rooms will be limited to 50% capacity.
- Designated entrances and exits will be set up and clearly marked throughout the facility.
- Enhanced cleaning and hygiene practices including personal protective equipment for staff, consistent disinfecting of high contact surface areas, and continuous cleaning throughout the day.
- All members, staff, and volunteers must wear a mask inside the facility while travelling between program areas and in change rooms. Members may remove their mask once in their designated workout space to exercise. During Group Fitness classes, masks are optional.
- During YThrive and Personal Training 1-on-1 sessions, the coach will wear a mask but members have the option to remove their mask during exercise.
- Masks should fit securely to the head with ties or loops, be made of at least two layers of tightly-woven material and cover the nose and mouth.
How can you keep our Y community safe?
We're taking steps to provide you with the best possible workout experience while protecting against COVID-19. But you can help too!
We are all a part of a Y community, and we know that members have each others' backs. Here are a few simple things you can do to make the Y a safe experience for everyone.
Things you already do at the Y:
- Use disinfectant wipes available throughout the facility to wipe down equipment before and after you use it.
- Follow directional signs to travel throughout the building to get to your desired program or fitness area. Not sure where to go? Just ask a friendly staff member!
Things you already do during COVID-19:
- Wear a mask while indoors, except during physical activity in a designated workout space.
- Practice social distancing (2m apart).
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer provided throughout the building.
New things you can do to help keep everyone safe:
- Follow our health screening procedures upon arrival.
- Do not share workout areas and equipment with others.
- Use one piece of equipment at a time (and use disinfectant wipes before and after).
As always, our staff and volunteers are here for you. If you need assistance, please ask us.
If you require accommodations or have any accessibility needs, please connect with a staff member for support.