Newcomer Youth- YMAP (London, Windsor and Sarnia)
What is YMAP? YMAP is a YMCA Integration & Leadership Program - Mapping the Way for Newcomer Youth. YMAP's main goal is to provide support and enrichment opportunities for newcomer youth to ease the adjustment to Canadian life. YMAP focuses on self-governance and opportunities for newcomer youth to establish social and professional networks.
What We Do & Why YMAP program is funded by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada as a settlement program for newcomer youth. Through sessions based on themes such as life-skills training, career exploration, community involvement, and leadership development, we support newcomer youth to achieve their goals and become active community participants. Throughout the year, YMAP hosts a number of special events that provide participants with the opportunity to practice their developing leadership skills and to engage in their community.
Things to do in YMAP:
- Acquire volunteer hours
- Participate in fun field trips - Receive homework help
- Participate in mentorship sessions to learn about post-secondary education and Canadian culture
- Learn about community
- Receive information about Canada, rights and freedoms, Canadian law and justice, employment and income, education, money and finance, transportation, media, and citizenship.
- Build community connections
- Visit cultural and local services
- Participate in different sports - Receive on-one-on supports through our Newcomer Youth Settlement Advisors who help guide, inform, and provide resources to settle into your new life in Canada.
- Create meaningful and long-lasting friendships
- Access to YMCA facilities - Create your settlement plan and goals action plan
- Develop and enhance leadership skills
- Connect to the community - Build your resume and employability skills
- Increase confidence and assertiveness
- Gain Canadian experience and a sense of belonging
- Practice and improve English language
- Participants must be a Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee.
- 12 to 24 years old We are always accepting new participants.
Find out what YMAP can do for you!
YMCA Centre Branch 382 Waterloo Street, London ON
Phone: 519-667-3300 ext.2017 or Cell: 519-933-1600
Monday to Friday 2:30pm to 6:00pm
YMCA Bostwick (Girls only sessions) 501 Southdale Road West, London ON
Monday 3:00pm to 6:00pm
Phone: 519-667-3300 ext.2017 cell:519-860-0907
Jerry McCaw Family Centre YMCA 1015 Finch Dr, Sarnia ON
Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:00pm to 5:00pm
YMCA Windsor Learning Centre 500 Victoria Ave, Windsor ON
Phone: 519-258-9622 ext. 2649 cell: 519-990-4682
Monday to Thursday 3:00pm to 6:00pm
For more information, please contact Marcela Nieto Arias Regional Manager of Newcomer Youth 519-860-0907, Email